September 26, 2010

Inspir...on.

My Inspiron 1520 has been with me, if I recall correctly, about 3 years now. It's getting to be a bit of a clunker, but it works. Probably the best thing I did to it was downgrade to Windows XP from Windows Vista. From there on, it's been smooth sailing ever since. I never made the jump to Windows 7, and at least on this laptop I'm not gonna.

Inspir...on.


This morning the cooling fan started spinning on things as simple as Youtube, which I found unusual. I figured that it was worth a look, in any case during those 3 years of travelling with me into all sorts of environments, not once has it been cleaned on the inside. I completely took the thing apart, expecting to find a colony of dust bunnies climbing all over the innards. But the dust situation was surprisingly tame. Sure it was all over the place, but not as bad as I thought. What I did find was that the thermal paste on the CPU had turned into a rubbery, awful mess. So I put in a dab of new thermal paste and reassembled the whole thing. And here I am, hours later, the fan hasn´t made a peep.

I hate how chromed surfaces look under direct flash. Should have probably used a light tent for this one, but that would have meant getting out my D80 and the strobes, and that´s a whole other story for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment