November 12, 2010

My new scanner

The document scanner

I've got a bunch of papers from who knows how long ago stored in drawers, boxes, you name it. Those kind of papers you figure might eventually be necessary for something. What exactly I don't know, but eventually you could need them.

For a while now I've been thinking about getting one of those scanners with a built in feeder. Problem is, most of the half decent ones I've seen run about $800.

But a couple of months ago I found a neat solution. There´s this software called Snapter which lets you take a photo of a document, and then straighten and crop it automatically. And you end up with a scan that's pretty good. It's not the exact document, but for most cases where what you need is the information and not so much the document, it works.

So today I made myself a scanner. Took an keyboard drawer that was pretty beat up and painted it black, and set my P&S up to scan documents. And it worked nice. Out of almost 100 pages, there´s only a couple of documents I'll have to redo on the flatbed. Total time invested? About an hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment