February 12, 2011

43- Coding

43- Coding

There's this software that they got at the office about 2 years ago, promised heaven and earth... in the end we got something like 50% of what the salesman promised... figures.

So we've been suffering to get it up and running ever since. The way it's built, you can't really be sure it's working correctly, you can only hope and pray that the numbers come out right the next time you pop up the report screen. And when something goes wrong, nothing to do but call tech support and hope they can figure it out in a week or so.

Well a couple of weeks back I got fed up and started playing around with the program databases to see what I could find poking around. This week, it turns out I stumbled onto the right solution, and the whole DB blew wide open.

And I've been writing code like crazy these past few days to see if i can make something useful out of the $$$ we invested in that thing. And so far it seems to be working. I've been able to write code that gives me the reports and screens I need, where I need them, and how I need them.

So that's how I've spent my day today. It's been at least a good 5 o 6 years since I've sat down an entire saturday to write code. And, at home they decided to have a party today, which made it all that much more difficult to balance things out.

But in the end I did balance everything out, and the program's up and running. I can't wait to get to the office on Monday and see what happens when I plug it into my desktop PC.

What a second... did I just say I can't wait to get to the office on Monday? Ok, that's it... I'm turning this thing off before I start to say even scarier things.

No comments:

Post a Comment