February 05, 2011

36- Spiders

February 5, 2011

Spiders

Took a quick trip to the Pacific side today. Along the way I found myself some spiders hiding out in a corner.

I'd always thought these were called daddy longlegs, but from what I'm reading on Wikipedia, that's one of those generic, erroneous names that can refer to a bunch of unrelated spiders. Formally these guys with the small round body and long legs are known as harvestmen, or Opiliones if you want to get really formal.

And these in particular I had never seen before. I'd always seen the round black ones, but looking at the macro I'm noticing these are shaped more like a tin can... or like one of those spider robots you used to see on the sci-fi cartoons.

Tried to point out specifically what it was, but I couldn't find it. And from what I read, there's really not a whole bunch of research on Opiliones. I imagine there's even less on opiliones in the tropics.

No comments:

Post a Comment