October 23, 2010

Beating a dead horse

Beating a dead horse

There's stuff around the house that you never seem to get rid of. Like my old desktop PC, which has undergone all sorts of personality changes in the past year.

I've been using my laptop as my primary computer for a while now, so the desktop goes from one job to the next. First it was my backup computer, then it was my computer for downloading stuff off the internet, then it was a storage server until the drive gave out, and most recently it's been a DVD player, when I got my new flatscreen and found it came with a VGA port.

That's my way of beating a dead horse. I like to think of it as helping to not contribute to the global electronic garbage crisis (yeah, sure).

Every time it seems the desktop has finally given out, I find some way to bring it back to life. Like today: the CPU cooler snapped a hook and the processor came loose. I tried to hunt up a new one on our local Ebay, and found one but when I called, the seller didn't remember where he put it. It seemed the time had come to toss this PC in the trash.

Until it came to me. Who needs a CPU cooler when you have plastic cable ties. Problem solved.

No comments:

Post a Comment